The Westside Modern Quilt Club's annual challenge has been well received for several years so we are very much looking forward to the next exhibit. The following are all the important details about participation and the quilt specifications:
• The 2016 WestSide Modern Club Challenge is Modern Heritage and will debut at Northwest Quilting Expo in September 22-24 2016.
• The challenge is open to anyone wishing to honor the heritage of the Northwest Native Americans in a Modern Quilt format (please avoid decidedly pictorial solutions).
• Your piece must measure either 32x44 or 48x66 and use a minimum of 1/4 yard of the Benartex fabric Sevilla in gold (see the photo below).
• It must also have a 4 inch sleeve attached to the back of the quilt for hanging.
• We also request you enroll with The Pine Needle to participate at the time you receive your fabric
• The initial due date for the finished piece will be by August 31 at which time we will have the Big Reveal potluck party at Millennium Park in Lake Oswego at 6pm.
We are also organizing a private docent tour at the Portland Art Museum which is featuring an exhibit entitled Contemporary Native Photographers and the legacy of Edward Curtis. It will be a powerful visit.
Also if you want some additional inspiration...........a good read is The Short Night of the Shadow Catchers. It's focus is Edward Curtis and his love of the native American culture, and is one of Lake Oswego Library's LO Reads books for 2016.
For further information feel free to call The Pine Needle and ask for Geri. She can fill you in, or plan to attend one of the WestSide Modern meetings either February 17 or March 30 at 6pm.